… “I think they need to know the animations really well themselves, and to have explored all of the ideas and concepts first of all, before they start thinking about how and which ones to use.” Educator
This guide aims to prompt discussion, after viewing one or more animations, about some of the key messages and themes contained in the animations.
The question set below is designed to be used in a professional learning context to enable viewers to further explore the themes, sub-themes and key messages around supporting Aboriginal children’s social and emotional wellbeing.
It is suggested that the discussion be facilitated by a nominated staff member. The role of facilitator might be rotated for each of the modules being explored.
Discussion points for exploring the films
- What stands out for you about these stories?
- Are there particular feelings or thoughts that come to mind when you’re watching these animations?
- What are some of the key messages about children’s social and emotional wellbeing that come from these stories?
- What are some of the factors that might support Aboriginal children’s social and emotional wellbeing?
- What are some of the challenges that could negatively impact the social and emotional wellbeing of Aboriginal children? What were some of the ways in which the characters overcame these challenges depicted in the animations?
- How did the characters in the stories connect to their culture?
- How did connecting to culture support the resilience of the characters?
- In what ways did connecting to culture create a strong sense of identity for the characters?
- What are some of the important family strengths highlighted in these stories?
- How do you think these animations could contribute to supporting Aboriginal children’s social and emotional wellbeing?
Can you draw links between the key themes of identity, connection to culture and resilience and how they might apply to some of the professional frameworks which inform your practice (e.g. the National Early Years Learning Framework, National Quality Standard, The National Safe Schools Framework, Australian Curriculum)
What might you or your service do differently to strengthen relationships with Aboriginal families and support the social and emotional wellbeing of Aboriginal children?