This material is also available in a PDF format: Supporting mental health and wellbeing: Resources for families and staff [692KB]pdf
Where can I go for further information?
Getting professional help provides access to information about getting help from health professionals.
Better Health Channel
The Better Health Channel provides health and medical information to help individuals and their communities improve their health and wellbeing, including information on coping with stress.
- Better Health Channel: http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/
- Coping with stress: http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Parenting_coping_with_stress
Women’s and Children’s Health Network: Parenting and Child Health
The Women’s and Children’s Health Network: Parenting and Child Health is a resource for parents and caregivers that provides information on everything related to the health and development of children.
Women’s and Children’s Health Network: Parenting and Child Health: http://www.cyh.com/SubDefault.aspx?p=98
Children of Parents with a Mental Illness (COPMI)
Children of Parents with a Mental Illness (COPMI) provides information for family members across Australia who have a parent experiencing a mental illness, and for people who care for and work with them. The overall aim of the initiative is to promote better mental health outcomes for children (0-18 years) of parents experiencing a mental illness.
Children of Parents with a Mental Illness (COPMI): http://www.copmi.net.au/
Australian Psychological Society
The Australian Psychological Society is the largest professional association for psychologists in Australia. The website includes:
- Tip sheets on a range of topics related to children’s mental health:
- Find a psychologist service:
- Information about understanding and managing stress:
Australian Psychological Society: http://www.psychology.org.au/
beyondblue is a national, independent, not-for-profit organisation working to address issues associated with depression, anxiety and related substance-use disorders in Australia.This website includes:
- Resources on coping following family separation:
- A directory of medical and allied health practitioners in mental health:
Families NSW is a Government strategy to enhance the health and wellbeing of children up to 8 years and their families. It does this by helping parents to build their skills and confidence in parenting, supporting parents and carers so they can respond to problems early, building communities that support children and families and improving the way agencies work together to make sure families get the services they need. A large variety of parenting resources is available.
- Families NSW: http://www.families.nsw.gov.au/
- Parenting resources: http://www.families.nsw.gov.au/resources/resources-index.htm