How do we choose a program for our early childhood centre?
The KidsMatter Early Childhood team has compiled a list of focus questions to assist services through the program selection process. Considering the following questions can help services to select the program that best meets the needs of their children, families and staff.
- What does the service aim to achieve by implementing a program?
- What are the needs of the children, families, and staff at the service?
- Is a formal program the best way to address those needs?
- Does the proposed program meet those needs?
- Are the staff and the resources needed to implement the program available at the service?
- What will staff have to do to implement the program at the service?
- Does the program assist the service to implement the KidsMatter Early Childhood framework?
- The specific details of the program- such as the aims, content areas and who it has been designed for.
- What is involved in the implementation of the program- such as the structure of the program, methods of delivery, who can deliver the program and the training involved, and the cost of the program.
- The evidence of the program’s effectiveness.