KidsMatter Primary is a mental health and wellbeing initiative that has been adopted by nearly 1500 Australian primary schools. The Australian Government has funded KidsMatter Primary to be rolled out to a total of 2000 schools by 2014.
Flinders University evaluated KidsMatter Primary and found it significantly improved:
- the mental health and wellbeing of students
- the quality of school work
- the ability of parents, carers and teachers to help children deal with problems
- NAPLAN results – when a school implemented KidsMatter Primary well.
KidsMatter Primary was developed by the Australian Government Department of Health, beyondblue, the Australian Psychological Society, and the Principals Australia Institute.
KidsMatter Primary aims to help:
- improve the mental health and wellbeing of primary school students
- reduce mental health problems in students
- achieve greater support for students with mental health problems and their families.