KidsMatter Primary is a mental health promotion, prevention and early intervention initiative for Australian primary schools.
KidsMatter Primary aims to help:
- improve the mental health and wellbeing of primary school students
- reduce mental health problems in students
- achieve greater support for students with mental health problems and their families.
A comprehensive evaluation of KidsMatter Primary was conducted by Flinders University of South Australia. Specifically, the findings show KidsMatter Primary:
- improved student mental health and wellbeing, including optimism and coping skills
- reduced mental health difficulties, such as emotional symptoms, hyperactivity, conduct and peer problems
- improved students’ school work
- improved teachers’ capacity to identify students experiencing mental health difficulties
- improved teachers’ knowledge of how to improve students’ social and emotional skills
- increased parents’ capacity to help children with social and emotional issues
- helped place mental health as an issue on schools’ agenda
- provided a common language for schools to address mental health and wellbeing issues.
KidsMatter Primary was developed by the Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing, beyondblue, the Australian Psychological Society, and the Principals Australia Institute.
Please see the KidsMatter Primary website for more information.