The Australian Association of Social Workers 

The Australian Association of Social Workers has information about social workers in your area that provide a service for a fee. To find a social worker in your area who speaks languages other than English, visit the Australian Association of Social Workers website. 

The Australian Psychological Society 

The Australian Psychological Society's website has information about psychologists who provide a service for a fee. You can do an advanced search on the website for psychologists in your area who speak languages other than English.     

The Centre for Multicultural Youth

The Centre for Multicultural Youth works with young people from refugee and migrant backgrounds and provides support for those experiencing challenges as they settle into Australian life. The Centre for Multicultural Youth website also has information sheets and resources for organisations, schools and families. 

The Federation of Ethnic Communities’ Council of Australia (FECCA)

FECCA is the peak, national body representing Australians from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. FECCA's role is to advocate, lobby and promote issues on behalf of its constituency to government, business and the broader community. Visit the FECCA website for more information

Foundation House 

Foundation House has some useful resources for working with refugee communities in schools. School's In for Refugees: A whole-school approach to supporting students of refugee background (2011) is a resource that has been produced in consultation with teachers and others in the community, health, family services and education sectors. It includes background information about understanding the refugee experience and the impact of trauma on learning, development and wellbeing. This resource, which can be used by teachers and those who work in and with schools, includes case studies, professional learning activities, templates and tools to assist planning and change processes in a school environment. 

Mental Health in Multicultural Australia (MHiMA)

MHiMA aims to build capacity across multicultural mental health and suicide prevention sectors.

The MHiMA website has a link to the main providers of mental health services, transcultural mental health programs, multicultural psychosocial recovery-oriented services and specialist refugee support programs across Australia. You can also search for specific services within your state or territory.

Raising Children Network

You can access links to a range of national and state resources, services and support organisations for multicultural and culturally and linguistically diverse communities on the Raising Children Network website

The Refugee Council of Australia 

The Refugee Council of Australia (RCOA) is the national umbrella body for refugees and the organisations and individuals who support them. The fact sheets in the following link have information relating to refugees and asylum seekers, including informtation about international refugee law, Australia’s asylum policies and the challenges faced by newly-arrived refugees when settling in Australia. These resources can be used by teachers or given to parents of students.  

Translating and Interpreting Service National (TIS National)

TIS National is an interpreting service provided by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship to provide interpreting services for people who do not speak English and for agencies and businesses that need to communicate with their non-English speaking clients. TIS National is a 24-hour service that teachers and ECEC service staff can use to contact parents where English is not their first language. 

TIS National provides interpreting on a fee-for-service basis and can be accessed by calling 13 14 50. For information on how to use the service, visit the frequently asked questions page for agencies here you can find information about getting started with TIS National. You can also find a frequently asked questions information sheet for parents from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds in various languages.  

There are fees associated with using this service (with the exception of General Practitioners and some specialists). You can check whether you are eligible for free use of the service by calling 1300 655 080 (within Australia).