Where can I go for further information?

Raising Children Network
Raising Children Network, funded under the Australian Government’s Stronger Families and Communities Strategy, is a national website aimed at helping families care for their children. Articles on a range of issues relevant to children’s development are available on the website.

Articles on a range of issues relevant to friendships and empathy are available on this website. Website address details are provided below or click on the ‘Grown-ups’ tab to access the articles:

Australian Psychological Society
The Australian Psychological Society is the largest professional association for psychologists in Australia. It spreads the message that psychologists make a difference to peoples’ lives, through improving their health and wellbeing and increasing scientific knowledge. Tip sheets on a range of topics related to children’s mental health are available at on the website – See ‘Tip Sheets’ in the ‘Publications and Products’ tab (top right-hand side of the home page) for details.

Centre for Community Child Health
The Centre for Community Child Health supports and empowers communities to improve children’s health and wellbeing. It operates clinical services, research and programs. A range of resources and publications are available on the website – See ‘Childcare and Children’s Health’ in the ‘Resources and Publications’ tab on the toolbar on the left-hand side of the page.

Early Childhood Australia
Early Childhood Australia is the peak national, non-profit, non-government organisation that acts in the interests of young children. They provide a range of options and outcomes to support growth and development of young children. Articles on issues relevant to child development and mental health are available on the website.

Kidscount, developed by the Australian Childhood Foundation, is a website for parents and carers that provides useful information about supporting children’s development. It is available in a range of languages on the website.

The Collaborative for Academic, Social and Emotional Learning (CASEL)

CASEL aims to promote co-ordinated, systematic, social and emotional learning in educational settings. A wide range of useful information, articles and resources is available.

Parentline is a confidential telephone information, counselling, and referral service for parents and carers who have children up to 18 years of age. There s a different phone number for each state and territory.

Books for parents and carers

  • Your child’s emotional needs
    This book discusses the emotional needs of children at various developmental stages from birth to age 12. By V. Flory (2005). Sydney, NSW: Finch Publishing.
  • A parent’s treasure chest: Exploring the path to resilience.
    This user-friendly book provides information on emotional intelligence, problem solving and optimism for parents and carers. By C. Jenkin, & A. McGenniss (2000). Canberra, ACT: Commonwealth Department of Health and Aged Care.
  • Mind your mind: How to master your thoughts and feelings.
    This book provides clear information for parents, carers and children on the link between thoughts, feelings and behaviour. By J. Johnsen, & L. Hay (1996). Oakleigh, VIC: The Australian Scholarship Group.
  • The optimistic child.
    This book provides exercises and strategies that can be used to teach children optimistic thinking patterns. By M. E. Seligman (1995). New York: HarperCollins.

Extra resources for use with children

  • Arthur is a PBS kid’s series that has a large range of activities that parents, carers and teachers can use with children to help them develop important skills. Games, activities and suggestions for teaching children social and emotional skills are available.
  • The socially speaking game, A. Schroeder (2003). Grand Rapids, MI: School Specialty Publishing. This game is ideal for children aged 7+ and covers topics such as greeting, taking turns, eye contact and listening.

Getting help

If you feel concerned about your child and think they or your family need extra support, refer to the Getting help section of this site, or talk with your family GP.