Positive school community is the first KidsMatter Primary component area for learning, planning and action. In a positive school community, every face has a place, every voice is valued and everyone has something to contribute.
All children need to feel that school is a safe place where:
- people care about them
- their needs for support, respect and friendship are met
- they are able to get help to work out problems.
Schools already work hard to ensure that their cultures are positive and inclusive.
KidsMatter offers the whole school staff the opportunity to develop:
- a shared understanding of why this is so important to mental health and wellbeing
- a common language for talking about it
- a shared focus on planning for improvement.
Target areas and goals help make planning in this component more focused and effective.